[Wiskidsdv] ADVOCATE QUESTION: Protective Parent Suspicion of drug use

Nicole Nemec nicole at casda.org
Tue Oct 6 06:27:57 PDT 2015

Very often in our shelter there are clients struggling with addiction and
mental illness.  Too often drugs or alcohol are being used as a coping
mechanism to deal with the horrors of things that have happened to them.
What we do is pay attention to the children to see in what ways this is
affecting them.  Are they being cared for?  Is there an older sibling who
is seeing to their needs? Are they fed and clean?  What support structures
are in place to help mom through these difficulties?  Is there someone able
to help mom with respite care if she were to seek treatment?

If mom is doing the best she can with the tools she has been given the
likelihood of CPS coming in and taking those kids is pretty slim, and if
they did the chances of finding a place that could keep them together is
even slimmer.  We always look at what we can do to support the whole family
and if mom's drug abuse needs to be addressed then we talk with her about
our concerns and what we are seeing.  This is a hard conversation but if we
can form it right then we are letting her know we are not judging her
behavior simply offering her alternatives and assistance.

--
*Nicole Nemec*
*Children's Program Coordinator*