[Wiskidsdv] Teen Group

Anna Budelman PreventionEducation at friendswi.org
Tue Jul 23 08:10:38 PDT 2019

Hello!

One of my favorite activities to do with students (middle and high school age) is a worksheet identifying someone we have a healthy relationship with. I let them pick anyone-best friend, sister, cousin, parent, etc.

They put the name in the center, then fill in the four boxes. I ask them to think of things about them that you really like (IS: crafty, organized-qualities about them that you love), things they DO that you appreciate (makes me laugh, calls to check in, invites me to things), things they SAY that you like (inside jokes, nick names, phrases they say, I love you), and lastly things they DO NOT DO (doesn't hurt me, doesn't make fun of me or talk behind my back).

I always offer them an extra copy if they want to give one to their person. I also encourage them to show their person all of the things that they love about them. I explain that sometimes all of those things are left unsaid and they know all of those little things that we love them. However, it is important to tell people in your life when they do things you love and appreciate, as well as when they do things we don't like.

I also like my Red Flag or It Depends activity. It gives them the opportunity to get up and moving (this side of the room for red flag-across for it depends). Then I ask both sides why they thought what they did. This activity facilitates a lot of great discussion because it helps them discuss details about how some relationships are unhealthy and some are abusive.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Anna Budelman
Prevention Educator