[Wiskidsdv] Seeking WI Family Stories by December 31st

Cody Warner codyw at endabusewi.org
Mon Nov 6 08:52:27 PST 2017

End Domestic Abuse Seeks Anecdotal Family Law Information

End Domestic Abuse Wisconsin is conducting a research study to examine the effect one or more felony incident or a serious incident of domestic abuse has on the outcomes of WI family law cases where the parties have children. In this study, we review divorce cases between the person convicted of a domestic violence-related crime who is later engaged in a divorce action with the same victim and, if one exists, a restraining order case, if the non-abusive party sought one. Through this research we examine the custody and placement decisions made in these cases; the recommendations made by evaluators, mediators or Guardians ad Litem; and the decisions or orders made by other professionals in the family law system.  We also examine the existence of lethality factors, if noted in the case files.  This study involves a sample of counties randomly selected from each of the ten judicial districts in Wisconsin.

In addition to this formal data collection process, End Domestic Abuse WI is also gathering anecdotal information and stories about interactions between a domestic abuse victim and a GAL, mediator, custody/other evaluator or other professionals in family law proceedings in cases with proven or alleged domestic abuse.  We are seeking the statements, comments, reactions and recommendations made by any family law professional which appear to be reflective of or inconsistent with safety concerns for domestic abuse victims and/or their children.

When sending the information, please include the county in which the case was filed; whether the case is a criminal, restraining order or family law action; what was said/done by whom and to whom, and, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, the case file number(s).  We wish to be able to verify statements or outcomes IF at all possible.  However, if the information provided is not recorded, please include as much information as possible.  Please indicate if you are paraphrasing what was said to or heard by you.    You may also share this request with others.

We are completing our formal data collection by the end of December 2017 and will release the findings in the spring of 2018; thus please send any anecdotal stories or information by December 31, 2017.  The information can be sent to: ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­adrienner at endabusewi.org<mailto:%1fadrienner at endabusewi.org>.   We will file this information but we do not plan to use names/counties in the final report.

Thank you on Behalf of End Abuse Staff working on this project, Tess, Tony and Adrienne

[2018 Teen Summit - Email Signature]
Cody Warner
Children & Youth Prevention & Outreach Coordinator
End Domestic Abuse Wisconsin
1245 E. Washington Ave, Suite 150
Madison, WI 53703
Direct phone: (608) 255-0539 X307